Time: 11am to 2pm
Venue: Danshui Foreign Cemetery –No. 26 Zhenli Street, Danshui District, Xinbei City, New Taipei City, Taiwan (See below for further instructions.)
Established at the end of the nineteenth century, the Danshui Foreign Cemetery has been cared for by the Canadian Society (now the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan) since 1984. There are more than 70 graves in the cemetery, many of which belong to Canadians.
CCCT members and friends join together at the cemetery several times a year to help clean up the grounds and tombstones. It is a great way to take in some of Taiwan’s traditional culture, while becoming familiar with the history of Canadians in Taiwan.
The CCCT is hosting a family and friends-friendly BBQ at the cemetery on the 22nd to thank everyone who attends for their support.
There are plenty of historical sites in the area that can be visited if you plan on spending the day with us, such as the Customs Building, the “White House”, the first high school in Taiwan, the Red Fort, Danshui Old Street, and the Fisherman’s wharf, to name a few. The TamKang High School grounds are open for parking. You just have to find your way up the hill in the narrow streets! For those who are taking the MRT, it’s a short taxi ride from the MRT station to the cemetery.
The CCCT has several committees (Cemetery Committee, Business Luncheon Committee, Small Business Committee, and Canada Day Committee) that are working hard to raise funds to have some trees removed from the cemetery that are disrupting the graves.
Donations are gratefully accepted.
Directions to Danshui Foreign Cemetery
1. On Foot, Taxi
- Get off at the MRT Danshui Station 淡水站
- Take Zhongsan Road 中山路 and turn right on Xinsheng Street 新生街
- Walk up Xinsheng Street 新生街 and turn left on Xinmin Street 新民街
- Walk up Xinmin Street 新民街 and turn left on Zhenli Street Lane 3 真理街3巷
- You’ll see the entrance of the cemetery on the right. Note: Total distance 1.5km, about 30 minutes’ walk. Taxi is about $120.
2. By Bus
- There’s a bus stop across from MRT Danshui Station 淡水站
- Take Red-26 and get off at Aletheia University 真理大學.(it’s the 4th stop)
- Walk up the hill, pass Aletheia University真理大學 and you’ll see Tamkang High School 私立淡江高中.
- The cemetery is inside the high school on the north east corner of the campus.
- Take Zhongsan Road 中山路 to Wenhua Road 文化路.
- Take Wenhua Road 文化路 to Zhenli Street 真理街 and turn right on Zhenli Street, Lane 3 真理街3巷 to Danshui TamKang High School 私立淡江高中.
- Please park inside the high School. The cemetery is inside the high school on the north east corner of the campus. Note: About 15 minutes’ walk.